Alex Hales is being inspired by the achievements of the Mumbai Indians as Notts Outlaws’ Natwest T20 Blast campaign continues against the Worcestershire Rapids on Friday.

As part of the Mumbai squad during the latter stages of their Indian Premier League campaign, Hales had one of the best seats in house from which to witness Ricky Ponting’s men complete an amazing turnaround to win the competition following a miserable start.

The 26-year-old believes momentum holds the key to being successful in the shortest format, something he hopes the Outlaws can build on the back of victory over Northamptonshire.

“It’s been frustrating for us,” he said of the T20 Blast campaign to date.

“If you look around the changing room, there is a number of incredibly talented international and domestic players around.

“For some reason we just haven’t got it right this year, but we’re still in a position to qualify in the Twenty20. Look at what the Mumbai Indians did – they lost their first five games and ended up winning it.

“It can be a momentum game and we won our last match, so hopefully we can take that into Friday.”

The visit of the Rapids will be the Outlaws’ first fixture since Peter Moores joined the Club as a Coaching Consultant. Hales, who played under Moores during England’s recent World Cup campaign, believes his arrival is a timely boost for the squad.

“It will be a big lift to all of us, both players and backroom staff, to have him around,” he said.

“He’s one of the keenest coaches I’ve played under in my life, so he’ll be a fantastic lift for everyone.

“As Mick said to us the other day, he’s been here for 13 years now and maybe it will be good to hear someone else’s views and opinions on where we are at as a squad, and where we want to go.

“When Mick speaks, he speaks very well. He’s not one of those coaches that talks for the sake of talking. He’s always got valid stuff to say, and Peter is one of the most enthusiastic coaches around, so I think that will work well.

“I was a little bit surprised when Mick announced it, but I think it will do us all good.”

Hales wasn’t selected for England’s starting line-up until the final two matches of the recent competition in New Zealand and Australia.

He got over his World Cup disappointment by impressing at the top of the order during the recent Royal London One-Day Series against New Zealand, and he's looking working alongside his former international boss again.

“The World Cup squad we had, there was a lot of experience and a lot of class players as well,” Hales said.

“Before the World Cup I’d had a pretty average tour of Sri Lanka and not scored many runs, so it was the right call at the time, and it’s not going to make any difference with Peter coming here.”

Notts Outlaws NatWest T20 Blast Fixtures & Ticket Information

v Worcestershire Rapids – Friday 3 July 6.30pm BUY TICKETS
v Derbyshire Falcons – Friday 10 July 6.30pm BUY TICKETS

Need more information? Call our ticket office on 0844 8118711.